Thursday, January 27, 2011

Brace Face!

I don't know why, but that's one of my favorite teasing names.  This post is a little late, but I think this gets me on track so that future posts will be more current.  On November 16th, I got my braces on. 
I had forgotten how uncomfortable the whole process can be.  That adhesive stuff tastes awful!  It was quicker than I thought it would be though.  The whole thing took less than an hour.  Now I have a full set of upper and lower braces.  Dr. Swiatek was great about working with me and know that, as an adult patient, I don't want a full mouth of gleaming metal.  However, I also have budget concerns and will be having surgery while the braces are still on my teeth.  We decided, at his recommendation, to put clear braces on the top teeth that show in the middle part of my mouth and to put standard metal braces on the bottom teeth and those in the back on the top.  I am impressed with how well the clear braces blend in.  You can still see them, but they aren't the first thing that people see when they look at me. 
A lot of people have asked me why I didn't just go with Invisalign.  Unfortunatley, Invisalign wouldn't work for me because the braces have to stay on before, during, and after surgery.  If they had to wire my mouth shut after surgery, they would use the braces to fix the wires in place.  In my case, they are going to use plates and screws to keep the jaw parts in place while they heal, but pulling the Invisalign on and off of my teeth just wouldn't work.  And, to be honest, I'm the kind of person that would take the Invisalign off to eat lunch and then forget to put it back on again.  Thus, the classic braces are the only option for me. 

Check out my dorky braces smile!

I had to do a really crazy face to get the metal braces to show.

I know what you're thinking... "How is she still single?!?!"



No comments:

Post a Comment